What is Play Therapy?
- A technique where the child’s natural means of expression, play, is used as a therapeutic method to assist him/her in coping with emotional stress or trauma.
- Differs from regular play.
- Provides a safe psychological distance from the child’s problems.
- Allows the child to express their true thoughts and feelings in ways best suited to their development level.
How Does Play Therapy Work?
- By safely confronting their problems in the protected environment, children find creative solutions.
- Play Therapy and lasting resolutions may be discovered, rehearsed, and adapted into the child’s life.
- Allows trained play therapists to assess and understand children’s play and to use it in assisting the child in coping with difficult emotions and in finding solutions to their problems.
- Children communicate their thoughts and feelings through play more naturally than they do through verbal communication.